Artist-in-Action Studio Fellowship
Root Division is currently seeking applicants for the 2021-22 Artist-in-Action Studio Fellowship. Application process includes submitting completed Fellowship Application Form and required materials. Finalists must be available between August 24-30, 2021 for interviews.
In the event that the COVID-19 situation continues to affect our programming into the coming year, we will work alongside the selected artist to structure this fellowship accordingly.
Priority Deadline: Thursday, August 19, 2021
ABOUT THE ARTIST-IN-ACTION STUDIO FELLOWSHIP
In its inaugural year, the Artist-in-Action Studio Fellowship provides free studio workspace and a monetary stipend to an emerging artist in exchange for being an integral part of Root Division’s Studios Program. In large part, the commitment involves service time that aligns and enhances Root Division’s mission to empower artists, foster community, inspire youth, and enrich the Bay Area through engagement in the visual arts. Service should be based in one or more of Root Division’s key programs—Youth Education, Adult Education, and/or Exhibitions & Events. Our hope is to provide the fellow with space, resources, and our network so that the Fellow can share their creativity, experience, and service to the community through the organization.
Possible Service Contributions could be to:
- Create and lead innovative virtual arts programming
- Develop curriculum and teach free art classes to youth (See past projects)
- Design and instruct classes and workshops for adults (View current offerings/ format)
- Develop and produce public programming for exhibitions (Explore past projects)
- Develop and share social justice frameworks for artists, educators, and/or youth
- Develop media project(s) that compile and share community stories
- Another community-focused creative endeavor
In exchange for this service contribution and program involvement, the artist will receive:
- Free studio work space for 11 months in our Studios Program facility located at 1131 Mission Street, SF.
- Fellowship Stipend of $5,000 (Payment schedule based on quarterly service milestones)
- Access to a network of peers and resources for creative and professional development, including staff support and working with a co-selected mentor in the field.
- Opportunity to exhibit in our Studio Artist Project Space Gallery.
Among the features of our space:
- 24-hour access (WORK ONLY / NOT LIVE-IN).
- Free Wi-Fi.
- Shared lounge, kitchen, bathrooms, & utility sinks.
- Shared woodshop and tools.
- Access to Digital Lab, including low-cost production use of large format printer, 3D printer, scanners, and other tools.
- Demonstrate excellence in their studio practice and/or art-making
- Have a minimum of one year working in community based initiatives or programming with groups of youth and/or adults
- Have a passion for working with and supporting under-resourced and/or marginalized groups
- Show enthusiasm for working individually and collaboratively to serve the community
- Are based in the San Francisco Bay Area
Awarded fellow will be asked to commit to an average of 16 volunteer hours per month to the organization from September 2021 to July 2022. This includes:
- Time making artwork in the studio
- Contributing to Root Division’s mission through community service
- Meeting periodically with a mentor (co-selected by the fellow and staff to align with project needs/ interests)
- Monthly All Artist Meetings (one Wednesday evening per month: Sept 2021-July 2022)
- Attending & supporting two fundraising events: Art Auction (Oct 2021) & Spring event (Apr 2022)
If possible, please submit all documents as PDFs (images can be JPGs) and email to firstname.lastname@example.org with heading: Artist-in-Action App – Your Last Name.
Please submit the following materials for review:
- Application Form: Completed as Digital Application Form
- Cover Letter (PDF: 1 page max): Please introduce yourself, tell us why you are interested in the Root Division community, and how this fellowship would impact you as an artist and facilitator of community work. Please add two references (contact name, email, phone) at the bottom of the letter.
- Images of your current artwork (up to 12) and corresponding image info (Title, Year, Media, Size); Ideally the image jpgs and info are compiled and attached into a single PDF at 10MB max.)
- Artist Statement about your artwork (PDF: 1 page max)
- Artist Resume and/or Professional resume. (PDF: 1-2 page max)
- Support materials/ samples (2 page PDF and/or links): Images and/or text from prior experience that demonstrates prior mission-aligned work. This could be student artwork/ lesson plans, course syllabi, a curated show, etc.
- (Optional) Service Project proposal (PDF: 1-2 page max) You are welcome to share a brief overview of a specific project or idea, including the participants, activities, a basic timeline, and the audience served. (See our suggested template here.)
Application process includes submitting completed Fellowship Application Form and required materials. Finalists must be available between August 24-30, 2021 for interviewing with Root Division’s Artist Selection Committee.
QUESTIONS AND CONTACT INFORMATION
For any additional questions about the fellowship, please email email@example.com.
To visit our studios at 1131 Mission Street, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a short tour with someone on our team.