Call for ArtIsts: Now ain’t some day yet
Root Division invites artists working in all media to submit work for Now Ain’t Some Day Yet, to be presented at Root Division in June 2023.
Between 1940 and 1970, over 300,000 Black people migrated from the American South to the Bay Area, embracing the unknown, seeking to establish social and economic mobility on alien soil. Now Ain’t Some Day Yet considers the relationship between the Great Migration and Black life in the present day Bay Area— What was carried? What was gained? What was lost? The exhibition seeks to give prominence to the hidden histories woven within Black migration patterns across the Bay Area.
Now Ain’t Some Day Yet is curated by jamil nasim, Root Division’s current Bay Area Black Artist Studio Fellow, and will be exhibited in tandem with a solo show of the artist’s work. Confirmed artists include Bushmama Africa, Christopher Martin, and William Rhodes..
The Bay Area Black Artist Studio Fellowship provides free studio workspace and a monetary stipend to an emerging artist in exchange for being an integral part of Root Division’s Studios Program. In large part, the commitment involves a service project that aligns and enhances Root Division’s mission to empower artists, foster community service, inspire youth, and enrich the Bay Area through engagement in the visual arts. Now Ain’t Some Day Yet is the culminating project from the 2022-23 fellowship.
Exhibition dates: June 7 – 28, 2023
Deadline to submit extended to: Tuesday, March 21 2023 at 11:59 pm
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION :
1. Please complete the Digital Application Form, attaching the below documents:
- Images: Up to four jpgs associated conceptually with the open call. Each jpg should be 1200px in the largest dimension, labeled to correspond with the inventory numbers listed on the application (i.e. 01_LastName.jpg). If there is video it should be submitted as a still and as a link to a web-hosted video viewer.
- Artist Resume: (2 pg. max)
- Artist Statment: (1 pg. max) Please tell us how your work relates to the theme of the open call.
2. Please pay the Submission Fee: A $10 fee must be on file by 3/21/23 for the email submission to be considered.
Deadline for Submission: Tuesday, March 21, 2023 at 11:59 pm
Artists will be notified within two weeks of the deadline about inclusion in the exhibition.